- UCAS Code
- Falmouth Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 254350
Harness your creative drive and enjoy the challenge of new media, joining one of the first pure Creative Advertising undergraduate degrees in Europe. If you're an aspiring creative director, art director or copywriter, this programme is designed for you.
You'll learn how to deconstruct and decode advertising communication, how to understand and use strategic tools, and how to generate strong conceptual solutions for use across the full range of media channels. We'll also equip you with professional presentation and negotiation techniques as well as the breadth of Adobe Creative Suite software skills.
- Visit London agencies on study trips
- Enjoy guest lectures from key advertising figures
- Live projects
- Placement module in year 2
- Exhibit at D&AD's New Blood graduate show
- Course membership to YCN and D&AD
How the course is taught
BA(Hons) Creative Advertising is a 3 year, practice-based course underpinned by theory and technical tuition. We offer a multidisciplinary syllabus tailored to meet the demands of today's advertising arena. During the degree you'll belong to a creative team of two: copywriter/art director. You'll have the chance to switch between the roles as you develop your own direction, but it's an essential dynamic of the industry, and our provision. Throughout, you'll be taught by staff benefiting from experience acquired at some of the world's leading agencies including Saatchi & Saatchi, JWT, Ogilvy and Fallon.
How you'll spend your time
|Year||Time spent in timetabled teaching and learning activity||Time spent in guided independent study||Time spent on placements|
How you'll be assessed
|Year||Assessment by written exams||Assessment by practical exams||Assessment by coursework|
On this course you’ll learn how to deconstruct and decode advertising communication, how to implement strategic tools, and how to generate strong conceptual solutions, deploying them across the full range of media channels. We’ll also equip you with professional presentation and negotiation skills, supported by software expertise.
Our aim is to produce graduates who, from their very first day in the industry, are ready and able to produce fully integrated transmedia communication solutions, harnessing both traditional and progressive channels.
What you'll do
The 1st year introduces you to key concepts and practices in advertising. Starting with the fundamentals of communication strategy, concept creation, copywriting and art direction, you'll apply skills to the business of creating advertising. You'll also be deconstructing and analysing the way advertising works. The year includes a guest speaker programme and site visits to major London agencies
- Copywriting, design and art direction - introduces the discliplines
- Creative problem solving - advertising briefs, concepts and the big idea
- Professional practice - presenting you work and self-promotion
- Analysing advertising - asking how it works
- Strategy & planning - explore the thought behind campaigns
This is the time when you begin to build your final portfolio, showcasing fully integrated campaigns. Over a series of modules you’ll work on real agency briefs and invent new product and brand concepts. Towards the end of the year you’ll have the opportunity to apply your skills and gain valuable work experience through agency placements, assisted by your tutors and Falmouth’s work placement team. It’s a pivotal opportunity that differentiates our graduates when they enter the world of work.
- Convergence & transmedia storytelling - explore multi-channel communications
- Campaign creation - developing your portfolio
- Social media & digital tools - using social media in campaigns
- Case study - experience life in an agency, report back
- Consumer behaviour - consider the consumer pathway
- Brands & branding - create and advertise your own brand
The final year is the culmination of all your work. It’s your opportunity to combine the skills you’ve acquired and present them to industry. You’ll produce a dissertation project and create a final advertising portfolio to professional standards. There’s even an Advertising Business Management module to help hone your entrepreneurial skills and further explore the commercial power of ideas.
- Dissertation - critical writing and campaign creation
- Advanced campaign creation - work to real industry briefs
- Final portfolio
- Advertising business management - how to run an agency
- Dedicated studio space
- Digital labs, lecture theatres and seminar rooms
- Libraries housing a collection of 140,000 books, 17,000 DVD and video titles, alongside exhaustive electronic and journal resources
All staff on Creative Advertising at Falmouth are either former creative directors or current practitioners. They bring with them industry partnerships with, amongst others: Droga 5, Ogilvy, M&C Saatchi, Poke, VCCP, AMV BBDO and JWT.
Complementing resident teaching staff, you'll benefit from visiting lectures and masterclasses via agency professionals.
Reflecting industry, we encourage self-evaluation at the end of each project and support this via personal development plans. Assessment is based on a combination of:
- Portfolio work
- Individual and group projects
- Essays and critiques
- Final dissertation
- Ad agency: Art Director, Copywriter, Account Executive or Strategic Planner
- Freelance Consultant
- Portfolio career including teaching and postgraduate study
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Creative Advertising group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
- BA(Hons) Creative Advertising Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Disabled Students Facebook Group
- LGBTQ+Students Facebook Group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to:email@example.com
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form