- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Join the next generation of creative image-makers, at the centre of one of the most dynamic and high-growth visual terrains: fashion. Whether it's captivating photography, film or animation, fashion photography has the power to define cultural aesthetic.
Being largely practice led, you'll blend creativity with frontline technology across a range of media, growing a knowledge base underpinned by cultural studies. Your exploration will take you from analogue processes to the use of high-end retouching and video editing techniques. You'll be encouraged to seek international placements to gain a diverse and global understanding of the industry. We'll also help you to develop a strong professional identity and an individual portfolio that showcases your distinctive style as an image-maker.
- Professional photography facilities
- Live client briefs
- Opportunities to attend fashion weeks
- Tuition in professional skills from studio and location practices to high-end retouching and fashion film
How the course is taught
This full-time, practice-focused course is supported by a combination of tutorials, lectures, seminars, studio and on location technical workshops and study trips to world-renowned fashion centres. Throughout, you will benefit from a high level of contact time with staff.
The course blends original creativity with frontline technology, while study is underpinned by history and theory. We help you to develop the skills, confidence and imagination required to make your mark in this exciting but highly competitive sector. We'll also enable you to develop a strong professional identity and an individual portfolio that showcases your distinctive style as an image-maker.
You'll work across a range of media including film, photography and animation, while experimenting with your own unique way of capturing the ever-evolving world of fashion. You'll explore the use of advanced high-end retouching and specialist editing techniques, and be encouraged to seek international placements to gain a diverse and global understanding of the industry.
What you'll do
During year one you'll explore the analytical, creative and technical potential of fashion photography, both in the studio and on location. A series of editorial and advertising briefs with accompany lectures and workshops to encourage you to understand the expressive and dynamic nature of fashion image-making. You'll be encouraged to explore your personal identity as a practitioner through investigating how personal practice relates to a broader arena of art and design.
- Optional study trips during London Fashion Week
- Opportunity to interview industry professionals. Previous interviews include Rankin, Tim Walker, Nick Knight, David Bailey and Mary Katrantzou
- Opportunity to create a Zine with Clive Crook, founding art director of ELLE magazine, UK
- Explore practice in studio and on location
- Post-production: high-end retouching and compositing
- The business of working as a fashion photographer
- Histories and theories
The creative possibilities in fashion image-making are infinite. This year seeks to explore the impact of new media through experimental fashion film, animation and the manipulation of photographic imagery using non-destructive retouching. A platform for discussion and experimentation encourages students to realise a diverse portfolio of work that demonstrates a sensitive and considered use of light, colour, tone, composition and form. You'll also negotiate a personal body of work to locate individual interests, develop specialist practices and explore a 'signature style' of image-making.
- Optional study trip to an international fashion centre
- Live project collaboration with industry brands and clients
- Live brief explores fashion filmmaking, photography or animation
- Digital imaging: Advanced high-end retouching and compositing
- Histories and theories
- Erasmus placement opportunities
- Continued contact with industry professionals
In year three you'll define and complete a final major project and be encouraged to exhibit your work. You'll explore critical reflection, self-awareness and should develop your own professional identity. You'll gain an increased awareness of the need for a resourceful and professional approach towards building a career as a professional image-maker, and devise a personal strategy for continuing your practice and advancing your skills.
- Professional development as a fashion photographer
- Final major project
- Major exhibition
- Extended Research Project
Our photography facilities and Fashion Studios include:
- Eight large, fully equipped professional studios - frequently in demand from external professionals outside of term time
- Fully colour-managed digital suites with specialist print processing facilities
- Specialist software training with Adobe Creative Suite
- Photography store containing an extensive range of industry-standard equipment available for loan from 9am-9pm, 7 days a week during term time
Our dedicated course team are specialists from the industry, joining us as fashion photographers, post-production and retouching specialists, art directors, stylists, visual merchandisers, designers and image stock specialists. Their clients and publications include ELLE magazine, Giorgio Armani and Vivienne Westwood, while their photography and BAFTA nominated/award-winning films have enjoyed international exhibition.
- Continuous assessment of visual, verbal and written assignments
- Portfolio submissions, support work and online presence
- Final year portfolio
- Fashion Photographer or Filmmaker
- Picture Editor or researcher
- Creative Art Director or Manager
- Retouching Artist or Multimedia Specialist
- Roles in related fields of fashion, film and advertising
Student placements have inculded:
- Harper's Bazaar
- Ted Baker
- Paul Smith
- Big Sky Studios
- Christopher Kane
- Hunger Magazine
- 1883 Magazine
- Toni & Guy
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Fashion Photography group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
- BA(Hons) Fashion Photography Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: firstname.lastname@example.org