Costume Design for Film & Television BA(Hons)
On this dynamic course, you’ll cultivate the practical, creative and theoretical skills needed to enter the exciting world of screen-based costume design. You’ll be part of a course designed by industry, for industry, working in an environment that mirrors current professional practices.
|Course Duration||3 years|
You'll prepare for a career in screen-based costume design through interdisciplinary learning across our Fashion & Textiles Institute and the School of Film & Television. You'll be supported by professionals working at the forefront of the industry to develop your own distinctive design voice and portfolio.
- Gain core skills such as drawing, pattern cutting, costume construction and fitting techniques, observation, analysis and expansive research practices
- Explore anthropological, socio-political, psychological, environmental and cultural concepts when considering the analysis of character and script, as well as how to plot costumes for moving image
- Enhance your developing design profile through an exploration of industry applications such as music promos, commercials, costume breakdown and innovative challenge-based projects
- Develop essential knowledge of the various roles available across the costume design sector, budget organisation, ideas pitching, collaboration and team working, as well as increased awareness of freelance practice and self-management techniques
- Refine your skills as a costume practitioner in your final year through a major collaborative screen production project to develop your portfolio, making you industry ready
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we have reviewed and made changes to our courses to provide flexible, blended delivery that offers high-quality digital engagement and access to face-to-face teaching in our facilities. You can see how your course may be adjusted by viewing the changes for the current academic year by visiting our welcome letters & latest course updates pages