Costume Design for Film & Television BA(Hons)
On this dynamic course, you’ll cultivate the practical, creative and theoretical skills needed to enter the exciting world of screen-based costume design. You’ll be part of a course designed by industry, for industry, working in an environment that mirrors current industry practices.
|Course Duration||3 years|
This course is new for entry year 2020.
You'll prepare for a career in contemporary costume design (from 1945-present, and beyond) through interdisciplinary learning across our Fashion & Textiles Institute and School of Film & Television. You'll be supported by professionals working at the forefront of the industry to develop your own distinctive design voice and portfolio.
- Gain core skills such as drawing, pattern cutting, garment construction and fitting techniques, observation, analysis and expansive research practices.
- Explore anthropological, socio-political, psychological and cultural concepts when considering the analysis of character and script, as well as how to plot costumes for moving image.
- Enhance your developing design profile through an exploration of industry applications such as styling for music promos and commercials, costume breakdown and innovative challenge-based design projects.
- Develop essential knowledge of the various roles available across the costume design sector, budget organisation, ideas pitching, collaboration and team working, as well as increased awareness of freelance practice and self-management techniques.
- Refine your skills as a costume practitioner in your final year through a major collaborative screen production project and portfolio creation, ready for entry into industry.