- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Gain the skills and knowledge to design and deliver innovative events from music festivals to fashion shows, while also being equipped with creative approaches for product launches, conferences, exhibitions and weddings.
Creative Events Management has entrepreneurship and employability at its heart. Based in the Academy of Music & Theatre Arts (AMATA) you'll experience an alternative to the conventional business school approach. This working venue creates a range of opportunities on your doorstep: from shadowing the producer, to booking, promoting and managing events. During your first month you'll receive technical, legal, and health and safety training, which enables you to work on live performances held here.
- Designing and delivering live events, on and off campus
- Theory, practical and technical experience, taught by events professionals
- You'll be based in AMATA, one of the finest performing arts facilities of its kind
- Tailored learning for your chosen career
- Live projects, site visits and placements with local and national organisations
- Visiting industry experts, to help you build essential networks
How the course is taught
This practice-led course, blends experiential process with essential theory. You'll work on live briefs, projects and events, taught by experienced event practitioners, specialist staff at AMATA and expert visiting speakers.
Project work is supported by lectures, seminars, workshops, professional experience and tutorials, to ensure you're inspired, engaged and supported to develop well-informed, safe professional practices. You can focus your individual work to specialise in your area of interest. This allows you to develop your own tailored pathway towards your chosen career or postgraduate destination, while benefitting from interdisciplinary opportunities.
You'll learn about the impacts of events, operational management, event design, marketing, working with clients and technical considerations. Throughout the course you'll gain the transferable skills needed to create and sustain business organisations; developing your management of complexity, uncertainty and diversity along with a detailed understanding of how the creative and cultural sectors function. Particular emphasis will be placed on creativity, sustainability and digital futures, preparing you to excel in an ever-evolving cultural landscape.
As your learning progresses, you'll deliver three live, assessed events, as part of AMATA's public programme.
What you'll do
Taught by our expert staff, you'll develop an understanding of cultural impacts and organisations while gaining a firm grounding in the processes of events planning. You'll explore everything from marketing and technical skills to managing resources and engaging with clients. You'll also develop team working and presentational skills, shadow AMATA staff and benefit from opportunities to steward public events.
- The Impact of the Cultural Sector
- Professional Development
- Introduction to Events & Resource Planning
- Understanding Cultural Organisations
- Events Management Practice
- Marketing for Events
In your second year you'll continue to develop peer and self-evaluation skills as you explore innovative possibilities for delivering successful events. Live briefs, expert speakers and AMATA's public programme will add context to your studies. You'll also apply your critical and cultural appreciation to deliver two live events and consider innovation in the events industry.
- Critical & Cultural Appreciation
- Collaborative Planning Event 1
- Resource Plan for Cornish Client
- Case Study of a Creative Production
- Collaborative Planning Event 2
- Business Innovation in Events
By your final year you'll have the confidence and skills to get increasingly hands-on with organising and delivering a more complex, multi-agency, live cultural event project as part of our annual student festival. Connecting with the media and creative industries both on and off campus, you'll build valuable relationships to launch your career on graduation.
- Professional Practice
- Event Futures
- Applied Event Project
- 12 specialist studio spaces licensed for public events, lecture theatres and seminar rooms
- A digital box office system to support your professional practice
- A production space to support group work
- Libraries housing a collection of 140,000 books, 17,000 DVD and video titles, radio archives, electronic and journal resources
- The AMATA public programme complements your learning and provides opportunities for you to gain professional experience
Our core academic staff team have won awards for their teaching and also possess a wide range of national and international industry experience across the creative industries, museums and galleries, heritage, tourism, sport and corporate sectors. Staff have worked with organisations including; Glastonbury Festival, Rambert, Tate St Ives, the Design Council, Ford, Reading/Leeds, BT, Kneehigh and Mackerel Sky Events. You'll also have access to our large team of associate staff, industry contacts and the AMATA production and technical support staff.
- You'll be assessed through presentations, visual, verbal and written assignments, which will include reports, marketing strategies, and a business plan
- Feedback and evaluation will be provided throughout the year
- You'll deliver assessed live cultural event projects in your second and final years
- Events manager
- Local Authority events manager
- Communications or marketing professional
- Venue manager or stage manager
- Business owner
Student mentor scheme
Falmouth's student mentor scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet.
Our mentors can be reached on the Creative Events Management BA(Hons) Facebook group.
They'll help with topics like living in Cornwall, what to expect at Falmouth, and the course itself.
You'll need to join the groups before you can post. If you don't have access to Facebook, please email your name and proposed course to email@example.com