International Applicants and Exchange Programmes

Am I an international applicant?

International applicants are generally defined as those who have not been ordinarily resident in the UK or EU for the past three years. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides detailed information explaining the conditions regarding tuition fees at the 'home' rate and not the 'overseas' rate for study in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Can I study overseas with the Erasmus programme?

Our International Office supports Falmouth students who want to study or work in another country as part of the course through the Erasmus and Study Abroad programmes. We also support staff who would like to work or teach in Europe through the Erasmus programme. Find out more about exchange opportunities for students and staff

Can I transfer to Falmouth as an Erasmus student?

Yes, if you are currently studying or working at one of our partner institutions. Find out more about exchange opportunities at Falmouth University


Do international applicants need to attend an interview?

We don't normally expect overseas applicants to attend an interview at Falmouth in person, but we will conduct telephone or Skype interviews and ask you to submit relevant creative material electronically.

Do you make visits to prospective applicants in other countries?

Yes we make some international visits each year. For up to date information please visit our International visits diary. We also have a number of international agents representing us around the globe. Check out our interactive map for full details.

Do you offer any scholarships to international students?

Yes we do. Attracting the best students from around the world is a key element of our internationalisation strategy. Details of our international scholarships can be found here.

How can I budget for my study in the UK?

Try the International Student Calculator which has been developed by independent charities, to help you manage your money while studying in the UK.

Is the application process the same for international applicants?

While international applicants are subject to the same rigorous selection process as UK/EU candidates, there are some necessary differences to the process. We don't normally expect overseas applicants to attend an interview in person. Instead we will conduct telephone or Skype interviews and ask for relevant creative material electronically. In addition to standard application forms, international applicants are required to submit two academic references, original English language test results, academic certificates or transcripts, and a portfolio of current work.

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) also has a points-based system for those coming to the UK from outside the EU to study. We recommend all international applicants seek advice from our International Office before making an application, to ensure you are fully informed and prepared to make the best application you can. Please also see our international how to apply page

What are your fees?

Annual inclusive course fees for full-time international students are available here. The fee covers annual tuition but it does not include accommodation charges. This schedule of fees applies to students resident in countries outside the European Union. UKCISA provides information explaining the conditions of the 'home' rate and not the 'overseas' rate for study in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

What do I need to do if English is not my first language?

If English isn't your first language we will require proof of your English proficiency. We accept a range of testing systems that equate to an IELTS score of 5.5 for the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, 6.0 for an undergraduate degree and 6.5 for a postgraduate Masters. Due to the high academic level of research degrees, applicants are required to have an IELTS score of 7.0+ with a 7.0 in writing. The UK Border Agency requires an IBT (internet based test) for the awarding of a study visa. All tests must have been taken within the last three years at the start of the course.

We offer programmes to develop your English language skills before the start of your course and during your studies. These programmes are designed for students who have already met our language requirements.

Find out more about the language tests we accept and the English language support we offer

What kind of support do you offer international students?

International students are supported by an orientation programme on arrival, to welcome you at the airport and help you settle in to Falmouth. Our English language pre-sessional summer course is available at this point too. FXU, our students' union, also has an International Society open to all students interested in different cultures.