This information is for:

  • Applicants who are non-UK nationals, and who are considering applying, or have applied, to Falmouth University 
  • Current Falmouth students who may need to extend their student visa 

This page is for guidance only and represents the latest information available. However, please note that there may be further adjustments and changes to the scheme, so check the Home Office website for the most recent information. 

Applying for a student visa

Home Office points-based system

The Home Office operates a points-based system for those coming into the UK to work and study. This immigration scheme consists of five tiers, which allows nationals from outside the UK to live, work or study in the UK. The system is underpinned by the principle of sponsorship. Falmouth University is an A-rated, government approved education provider and acceptance to study here takes you a long way towards gaining entry to the UK. 

To enable you to make a Student visa application, you will need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) statement from us. To be eligible for a CAS, your offer must be unconditional, you must have completed all steps of the acceptance process (including paying an acceptance fee if applicable), and you must have provided us with evidence that you meet all UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) financial requirements, so that we can be sure that your application won't be refused on financial grounds. 

We'll use the Applicant Portal to request copies of your financial evidence documents when we need to see them, and it would be helpful for you to familiarise yourself with the Student Visa guidance, so that you understand what documents you need to prepare. 

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also provides detailed information about the items you will be asked to provide. Please check the 'Requirements' and 'Evidence' sections of UKCISA's student visa: eligibility and requirements page carefully. There is information there on what financial documents you can provide, the conditions those documents need to meet, including the length of time the money must be held for, and the amount of money you need to have. 

To apply for a visa as a student, you must have 70 points in the points assessment. You can score: 

  • 50 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) statement 
  • 10 points for having enough money (maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs 
  • 10 points for meeting the English language requirement 

The money you need depends on the length and location of your course. To score 10 points you must show you can pay the course fees for your first period of study (or the next period of study, if you are applying to continue a course) and your living costs for up to nine months. 

Once your student visa is issued using Falmouth University documentation, you will be able to study at Falmouth University only. 

Course registration requirements

When you arrive in the UK and register on your course at Falmouth you will be required to submit a copy of your entitlement to study in the UK, as well as the standard registration requirements such as paying your course fees and confirming your personal details. This evidence may be a copy of a valid student visa from your passport, a copy of your biometric residence permit (BRP) card or a ‘Share Code’. You will also be required to keep us up to date with your latest contact details including your address and telephone number. 

Our role as your sponsor

As well as registering as a sponsor and providing course applicants and visa extension applicants with the right documentation, we have a duty to comply with Home Office requirements. We are obliged to inform the Home Office if non-UK nationals here as students under the points-based system: 

  • Fail to enrol no later than ten working days after the end of your prescribed enrolment period 
  • Are absent for prolonged periods - ten expected contact points during the academic year 
  • Withdraw or go into abeyance from your studies 
  • Defer your studies after arrival in the UK 
  • Change your programme in any significant way, e.g., change the mode of study or shorten the duration of the course 

Current international students at Falmouth who applied for a student visa prior to the introduction of the points-based system in March 2009 are not affected by these requirements. 

Your role and responsibilities as a student

Whilst in the UK, you must comply with the conditions of your student visa, and it is very important that you understand these conditions. A breach of conditions can have serious consequences for both your current Student permission and any future immigration applications you may make. UKCISA provides detailed information about protecting your student status

Please pay particular attention to the following areas: 

  • Registering for your course - it is essential that you fully register for your course, including making payment arrangements for your tuition fees, and providing your UK address and contact details. 
  • You must attend an appointment to have your passport, immigration documents and travel documents verified when required. 
  • Work - generally, international students in the UK on a student visa are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations. There are instances where working rights are not given so you should check your student visa carefully to ensure you are eligible for work. If you are on a course with an integral period of work placement you are allowed to work full-time for the duration of the placement. Full details are available on the Home Office website

Applying for an extension to a student visa

If you are already enrolled at Falmouth University and wish to extend your student visa, you will have to apply for your extension under the points-based system. 

You will need to show the Home Office a confirmation of acceptance of studies statement (CAS statement) from us as your sponsor. To gain a student visa, you are required to reach 70 points (see above). You will also need to meet the maintenance requirements above to prove you have sufficient funds to live in the UK, over the cost of your tuition fees. 

The CAS statement is available from the Applicant Services team at our Falmouth Campus. You may be asked for additional information, such as a copy of your passport, as this needs to be included in the supporting documentation. Please allow a minimum of 48 hours for this to be produced following your request. 

Contact us

For further information please contact:

Applicant Services
T: +44 (0)1326 213730

Further information

International students chatting at a table
International students chatting at a table

International Entry Requirements

We welcome applications from students of all nationalities. View the English Language Requirements a...

International Entry Requirements
Falmouth students holding up name tags and nationality.
English language image

English Language Requirements

If English isn't your first language, we'll need to see evidence that you meet our minimum English l...

English Language Requirements
International students main

International Students

Find information about English language requirements and funding support for international students....

International Students