Comedy Writing MA (Online)
Get the skills, tools and industry insights to push your projects to the top of the commissioning editor’s pile and get your script green-lit.
|Course Duration||2 years|
|Subject to validation during this academic year||✔|
Start dates: January / May / September
(Three intakes per year)
Push the boundaries of comedy writing to its limits. Interrogate big ideas like sex, politics, religion and family through comedy. Or just write a show that's unashamedly stupid! There are lots of opportunities right now and a great need for new comedy writers.
Get the skills, tools and industry-focus which will push your projects to the top of the commissioning editor's pile and see your script green-lit. Who knows; you could see yourself on the way to the BAFTAs, Oscars or Golden Globes with the next Fleabag, VEEP, Modern Family or Father Ted.
Throughout this course, you'll get writing tips and career guidance masterclasses from the very best in the industry. Guests have included the likes of sketch comedy heroes French & Saunders, Emmy and BAFTA-winning comedy writer Simon Blackwell, Radio 4 comedy commissioner Sioned Wiliam and former head of BBC and Sky comedy commissioning, Lucy Lumsden.
This online MA has been developed by award-winning comedy producer and executive producer Simon Nicholls. Simon has 20 years' comedy industry experience, developing and selling comedies in the UK and US.
- Study the work of renowned writers and directors, reflect on professional trends and learn how to seize market opportunities
- Be taught by a host of comedy experts including multi-award-winning TV and Radio comedy producer and executive producer Simon Nicholls
- Learn how to write comedy sketches, sitcoms, comedy dramas and develop a body of work for multiple platforms including; radio, TV, film and online
- Develop a comedy writing portfolio consisting of scripts, treatments, synopses and your responses to professional comedy briefs which can be used as a calling card to gain agent representation and to present to commissioning editors
- Structure your working practice as a comedy writer; plotting your day, dealing with writers’ block, working to tight deadlines while remaining funny
- Understand the role of a commissioner, the criteria by which they assess new writing and what it takes to get your project green-lit
You can submit our simple online form and a Course Advisor will get in touch with you. They'll be able to answer questions about how you'll study, what to expect from the course and the next step to take on your application journey.Get in touch