Undergraduate Funding

How to fund your studies

Most UK students pay for university by:

  • Accessing funding from the government
  • Parental contributions
  • Working part-time
  • Receiving bursaries from the University and/or other sources

Please note:

Summary of the main forms of funding

Government Funding

Funding arrangements for UK students are changing for those starting in Higher Education in September 2016 - please see the detailed information in the relevant sections of the Undergraduate Funding Menu opposite.

Parental Contribution

For students whose household income is over £25,000 and are therefore receiving less than the maximum support from Student Finance, it is expected that they will also receive some support from parents or partners with whom they usually permanently reside. It is a good idea to chat this through when planning your finances before coming to University.

Part-time work

Some students work part time in jobs at local bars, hotels and restaurants, usually paid at the minimum wage. We recommend that you do no more than 15 hours part-time work each week during term time to ensure that you are able to concentrate on your studies. Some students find work with chain stores at home before coming to University and then ask for a transfer to branches in Falmouth at the start of term. There is also work available over the summer months if you choose to stay in the area. Please visit the Creative Futures page for further details.

University Bursaries and Other Awards

Falmouth University offers a programme of bursary support to students who are assessed by Student Finance as having a qualifying income, and others with specific needs. Different arrangements are in place for different cohorts - please see the information opposite that relates to you as either a 'Pre-2016 Starter' or 'New Entrant in September 2016'.

Further support is available from the University - see Placement BursariesTravel Bursaries and Hardship Fund for information.

There is also a wide range of support available from private trusts, charities and organisations. More information can be found on our dedicated page here: Private Awards & Other Funding.