Paul Mulraney is a lecturer and creative director, specialising in professional practice in film and digital media.
A background in Fine Art led Paul to Art Direction, and a career that started in music videos has since travelled through many branches of the creative industries including games, film and moving image, online - websites, mobile apps, branded content, viral and social media campaigns – including projects that use a combination of these channels and media.
Animation, illustration and interaction run through much of the work that he's directed, while the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams and wrangle the complexities of innovative production environments is central to his role.
Clients have included the BBC, BT Sport, Endemol, Her Majesty the Queen, Lynx, Nat Geo Channel, Nissan, PayPal, The Spice Girls, Stephen Fry and T-Mobile.
His expertise in design and visual production is complemented by 30 years of experience working with sound, an encyclopaedic knowledge of underground music attests to a lifetime of crate digging. You can hear the results of this every Saturday night at 9.30 on his show Sound Travels, live on The Source 96.1fm.
A graduate of John Yorke's Professional Writing Academy, in recent years his interests have turned to screenwriting and he has a number of original projects - short films, anthologies, features and episodic TV - in development. Working in a number of genres including folk horror, historical drama and social realism, his writing is driven by a keen sense of the visual, a love of post-modern narrative structure, and a passion for magical realism that draws from a lifetime reading Borges, Calvino and Murakami.
|1999||PgDip Creative Advertising||University College Falmouth|
|1998||BA (Hons) Fine Art||Sheffield Hallam University|
Honors and awards
Webby Awards - Best Integrated Media Plan - Lynx Lounge - Senior Art Director
Revolution & DMA Awards - Best eComms Campaign - Knorr, Marco Pierre White - Senior Art Director
Membership of external committeesWGGB - Writer's Guild of Great Britain
Research interests and expertise
Specialising in the creative direction of complex digital projects that don't fit into an easy definition of media or channel, expertise in the creation and management of:
- Transmedia and convergent media narratives
- Gamification and game-like mechanisms within media
- The place of art direction and copy/scriptwriting in defining a project and creating a pitch
- Ideation - process based conceptual thinking
- Pipelining complex projects - creative project management
- Concept Design
- Feature Film Screenwriting
- Film and Television Development
- Production Design
- Short Film Screenwriting
Areas of teaching
- art directors
- Business and Applied Technology. Transmedia and Convergence. Future Cinema in Film Practice. Philosophy in Film Practice. Globalisation in Film Practice. Project supervision of directors
- screenwriters. Professional contexts in writing.
- Film BA(Hons)
- Creative Advertising MA
- Creative Advertising BA(Hons)
- Television BA(Hons)
- Film & Television MA