Double Award for Senior Lecturer
15 November 2019
Senior Lecturer Dr Huw Lewis-Jones is amongst the winners at the 2019 World Fantasy Awards.
Huw, who teaches on our Marine & Natural History Photography course, won the Special Award: Professional category for his book, The Writer's Map: An Atlas of Imaginary Lands. As well as teaching here at Falmouth, Huw is an Expedition Leader, photo editor, and author of all kinds of books.
The awards took place on 3 November in Los Angeles.
Huw said: "Our atlas has travelled far and wide this year, but this one was a real surprise! More than anything though we've been so pleased that readers are enjoying it."
This recent American prize follows on from Huw winning the Photography & Illustrated Book of the Year at the Stanford Awards in London. The Writer's Map was an Amazon number one bestseller in the cartography and literary categories. It has been praised internationally and reviewed widely, with features ranging from The Wall Street Journal to Atlas Obscura, My Modern Met to The New Yorker.
- 'Beautifully produced...a reminder that a map is far more than a means of plotting a route, it can transport you. It can work magic' - Telegraph Books of the Year
- 'Charts the landscape of literary imagination with passion and care' - NPR Books of the Year
- 'Fascinating' - Financial Times Books of the Year
- 'Book of the Year for 2018...intelligently charming meditations from writers...with map after map after map after map of imaginary, and sometimes non-imaginary, lands' - Weekly Standard
- 'An enchanting collection of fictional cartographies...spellbinding' - Geographical
- 2019 - Finalist. British Book Design and Production Awards, London.
- 2019 - Winner. World Fantasy Awards, Los Angeles.
- 2019 - Winner. Gold Medal, Motovun Book Awards, Frankfurt.
- 2019 - Winner. Illustrated Book of the Year, Edward Stanford Awards, London.