ASK Advisors provide one-to-one guidance and information on all aspects of academic study and skills.
- Essay writing
- Managing dissertations
- Giving presentations
- Time management and prioritising
- Critical reading and note making
- Revision strategies and exam techniques
- Citation, referencing and avoiding plagiarism
- English for academic purposes (for international and EU students) – see below for more information
We also provide a feedback service on written assignments. If you would like feedback on your assignment please email it to us telling us what you wish to focus on, eg structure, referencing, critical analysis, grammar and punctuation, or understanding the tutor's feedback. You can then book an individual appointment, but please allow two working days for us to read your assignment. We will give detailed feedback on up to two sides of A4 (please note this is not a proofreading service).
Our service complements any support offered by your course. We ask all students where possible to attend relevant activities, support and guidance from personal tutors. We can offer individual appointments and small group tutorials as well as lunchtime workshops via How To, and drop-in sessions via The Perch (see the Learning Space for our current programme). All our services are available at both campuses. Workshops are organised in academic departments at the request of both students and/or academic staff. English language classes are available for international and EU students – the current term's programme is published on the Learning Space.
Information and guidelines for using the service:
- In your initial email, please tell us what course you are studying and what you would like help with
- Individual appointments last up to 40 minutes
- Sessions are always tailored to individual needs
- Please inform us beforehand if you are unable to attend a booked appointment so that the time can be offered to another student
To book a tutorial, come to the ASK office on either campus or contact us: