Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that positively engaging with equality, diversity and inclusion will mean we are better placed to provide the best possible experience for our students, improve staff satisfaction, and strengthen our decision making and our overall performance. Increasing evidence across the sector and beyond suggests that diverse and inclusive institutions are more efficient, more productive and deliver better outcomes.
Our equality, diversity & inclusion mission
To support Falmouth University in being a world class place to study and work, by providing an inclusive environment where there is equitable opportunity for a diverse student and staff community to reach their full creative, academic and entrepreneurial potential.
Our aims & beliefs
- We believe that eliminating discrimination, advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations between people of different protected groups is essential in order for us to succeed as a university and as a community.
- We believe that Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (ED&I) are fundamental to the delivery of exceptional Higher Education and research. Not only that, but we recognise that equality, diversity and inclusion can power creativity and innovation; the two drivers at the core of Falmouth University’s mission.
- We endeavour to deliver socially responsible curricula, research and knowledge exchange, maintain inclusive and accessible physical and digital environments, and equitable access to support. This will enable the next generation of creative leaders and explorers to succeed, regardless of background or identity, and ensure that our people are equipped to identify, explore and consider issues relating to equality, diversity and inclusion throughout their personal and professional lives.
- We seek to be a tolerant community, where everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. We will not accept any forms of harassment, bullying, intimidation or discrimination and will take action when necessary.
- We acknowledge that we must remain vigilant and agile, responding to the needs of our community and wider society.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion objectives
We will deliver our Access and Participation Plan, which sets out ambitious targets to improve equity of opportunity for underrepresented groups to access Higher Education and support to succeed.
We will achieve University Mental Health Charter accreditation, taking a whole-university approach to mental health and wellbeing that seeks to shape a future in which everyone can thrive.
We will enable our workforce to continually develop socially responsible curricula, research, knowledge exchange and ways of working, and to enact positive, values-aligned change at all levels of the university.
How will we achieve this?
We will place the staff and student voice at the centre of our activity, gathering data, as well as testimony, of the ED&I experience at Falmouth in order to inform our work and encourage a culture where everyone feels safe to speak out.
We will be open about our work on ED&I issues, communicating with our community clearly and transparently.
We will invest in our people, such that it encourages positive action in relation to ED&I at Falmouth. This includes mandatory training for staff, continued engagement with the Aurora Women in Leadership programme, support for ED&I related focus groups, collaboration and dialogue.
We will ensure representation of ED&I issues is embedded across our governance structures and processes.
Our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion statement of commitments sets out our values and provides a foundation on which we work to ensure more equitable opportunities and outcomes for everyone.
Creative: Knowing that creativity is the vanguard of progress, we’re constantly seeking new ways of thinking, doing and creating.
Achieve: We value the pursuit of excellence and enrichment as a collective aspiration to be the very best we can be.
Respectful: We have an open mind, we respect differing views, we listen and enable, and we work towards an equitable and diverse world.
Sharing: We collaborate and share knowledge to co-create a positive impact.
We have produced a range of toolkits which provide key information and resources for staff to support equality, diversity and inclusion at Falmouth University. The toolkits can be accessed by visiting the Staff Portal