Module Lead, Sustainable Fashion MA (online)
I am a fashion designer and creative consultant with a design studio based in Hamburg, Germany. Since the beginning of my career in 2001, I have focused on integrating sustainability into my collection concepts whilst addressing social imbalance through inclusive production practices. My work is driven by my passion to investigate other ways of designing, making and living fashion as a counter strategy to address the environmental and social impacts of linear fashion systems. This also influences my consultancy in which I collaborate with brands to establish new strategies that underpin their business structures drawing from the principles of a circular economy.
In 2015 I started teaching in Germany. Since 2019 have worked as a Senior Lecturer on the subjects of design, concept development and circular fashion systems thinking at Birmingham City University. Visiting appointments create opportunities for me to teach at universities across the UK, Denmark and Germany allowing to engage with education in different cultural contexts. At Falmouth University I am module leader for two modules on the MA Sustainable Fashion (Online) course.
My research focuses on circular fashion design and design education, both heavily influenced by my practice. I present and publish my research internationally.
|2001||Diplom Modedesignerin||University of Applied Sciences Hamburg, GER|
Research interests and expertise
My research interests are based around circular systems thinking through finding alternative solutions that challenge existing design and consumption procedures. Focusing on a human centred design development, areas of my research also touch upon the integration of social design possibilities and questions of how innovative materials, responsible innovation and transparency can help to accelerate a regenerative fashion industry.
- Circular fashion economy
- Circular design strategies
- Circular fashion consumption
- Fashion education
Areas of teaching
- Systems thinking
- Fashion design
- Concept development
Independent professional practice
- 2022, exhibition Craft Sustained, The Hub, Sleaford UK
- 2020, exhibition Walking Distance - Fashion on a Different Route, Centrala Gallery, Birmingham UK
- 2018, exhibition otherways[project] selected for German Federal Award Ecodesign, Kulturforum, Berlin GER
- 2001, exhibition Best Diplomas in 2000 University of Applied Sciences, Hamburg GER
Engagement with professional associations and societies
- Member of the Fashion Council Germany
- Fellow of the RSA (Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce)
- Senior Fellow of the HEA, Fellow of the HEA
- Representative of FACE (Fashion Academics Creating Equality)
- Member of the UCRF (Union of Concerned Researchers in Fashion