About the researcher
After a career in Education, I am forging a second pathway in life as a Photographer. After first completing a degree and then a postgraduate diploma at schools of Photography in Barcelona, I moved to Falmouth University and the MA in Photography (online). Throughout my studies in Photography, much of my work has been inspired by my experiences living in rural southern France. Themes have included human-influenced landscapes, village buildings and village human inhabitants, and the small, modern housing estates increasingly found attached to ancient settlements.
For the Final Major Project of the MA, I looked at historic deforestation and current reforestation and it was this work that has led me to the focus of my PhD: human and non-human animal interactions at a time of climate change, environmental degradation and human encroachment into territories previously the reserve of non-humans. I am interested in the use of posthuman photography as a research tool, helping us to observe non-human animal activites away from the near-presence of humans.
Performing the Anthropocene: human and non-human animal interaction in the Corbières region of France.
My PhD is an investigation into how non-human animals are managing their lives in the Anthropocene in the Corbières region of France.
I use trail cameras to collect data about non-human animals and a range of case study methods to collect data about the attitudes of the local human community.
Through triangulation of literature, synthesis of data and applying a new materialist framework, I seek to understand the phenomena explored.
|Professional Photography, diploma
|Grisart International School of Photography, Barcelona
|Postgraduate Diploma: Documentary Photography
|Institut d’Estudis Fotogràfics de Catalunya, Barcelona
Honours & awards
Associate of the Royal Photographic Society (ARPS), 2023
Areas of expertise
Eco-photography, non-human photography
- Official Photographer at the Barcelona International Music Festival, performances at the Institut Français, 2018.
- Official Photographer assigned to the Mayor of Barcleona, Chinese Ambassador to Madrid and the Chinese Consular Office, Barcelona, Chinese New Year Parade, 2018.
- Exhibition: ‘China en Barcelona’, IEFC, Barcelona, 2020.
- Exhibiiton: ‘Ciudadelas en los Viñedos’, FineArt Festival, Igualada, 2021.
- Exhibition: ‘Sanglier’, Landings, Instute of Photography, Falmouth University, 2022.
- Source Graduate Photography Online: part of Falmouth University contribution, 2023.