Falmouth University actively encourages studying abroad as part of your degree. Your opportunities are vast and exciting thanks to our partnership with over fifty universities worldwide.
What is Erasmus and Study Abroad?
The Erasmus+ programme enables students to receive EU funding to study in Europe as part of their degree.
A Study Abroad exchange takes place outside of Europe at one of our international partner universities. Study Abroad is currently unfunded but you can access financial support for travel expenses and living costs through Student Finance England.
Whichever type of exchange you choose, please note that you will not be required to pay tuition fees to your host university and you will still receive your student loan.
Why should I go?
The Erasmus & Study Abroad programme is a tremendous opportunity to study overseas as part of your degree. Among the many professional and personal benefits, an exchange can help you:
- Enhance your employability - employers value international experience in graduates
- Maximise your degree by gaining new skills and perspectives on your subject
- Develop new language skills and gain confidence in independent travel
- Expand your network of friends and professional contacts
- Explore a new culture and country
Of course, your period abroad is something that you will need to think about and considerably prepare for. It will require flexibility, new skills, perseverance, and the understanding that an exchange may not suit everyone. A thorough investigation into your host university, city and country before you leave the UK can make sure that you are well-prepared for the culture you will experience and that you are ready to participate in all aspects of being abroad.
When can I go?
For undergraduates, the window of opportunity for undertaking an exchange occurs in your second year for one semester.
You may be able to choose which semester you study abroad or there may be regulations within your Falmouth department. It is therefore essential that you discuss your exchange plans with an academic prior to submitting a nomination form.
For Falmouth postgraduate students, several masters programmes allow international exchanges during first or second term. Contact your department for confirmation.
Where can I go?
From Times Square to Norwegian fjords, there is a world of opportunity with Erasmus & Study Abroad. Find your department below to see which partner universities are matched with your course:
- Academy of Music, Acting & Theatre Arts
- Falmouth School of Art
- Falmouth Business School
- School of Architecture, Design & Interiors
- School of Communication Design
- School of Film & Television
- School of Writing & Journalism
- Fashion & Textiles Institute
- Institute of Photography
- Games Academy (Coming Soon)
Please note that it is not possible for you to apply to a university that does not hold a partnership agreement with Falmouth. We also cannot guarantee that you will be accepted or nominated to your university choices, as each partner reviews a limited number of applications.
Need help choosing an Erasmus or Study Abroad destination?
- Visit the host university website to research the courses and facilities.
- Gather feedback from your department and academic staff.
- Book a one-to-one appointment with a member of the Erasmus team for general advice.
- Attend an Erasmus event, which often includes feedback sessions from outgoing and incoming exchange students - see our Employability Calendar.
How do I apply?
Before you can apply to a university, you must get officially nominated by your Erasmus & Study Abroad team. Please follow these steps:
2. Fill out the Expression of Interest for Nomination form: input your university choices, emergency contact details, and obtain a signature from an academic within your department. Academic approval is essential for nomination, so please ensure that you have provided the lecturer with full details of your exchange and module information.
Send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org, and if completed and viable, the Erasmus team will officially nominate you to our partners.
3. Apply to the universities, following the instructions listed in their follow-up email or on their website. Please note that every university will have its own deadline.
It is absolutely vital that you achieve the correct amount of credits at the correct level to pass your semester abroad and proceed into the next term at Falmouth. Ensure that your exchange modules reach or exceed the below:
- Erasmus exchange (Europe): 30 ECTS at level 2
- Study Abroad exchange (Australia): 40 (Griffith) 4 (Deakin) at level 2
- Study Abroad exchange (New Zealand and Singapore): 60 at level 2
- Study Abroad exchange (USA and Canada): 15 at level 3
This document is often required for your applications and can be obtained from the Student Records office.
We offer support via one-to-one appointments if you would like help with applications, credits, or have queries about your exchange.
For initial enquiries and appointment bookings, please contact: email@example.com
For application support, please contact the Erasmus & Study Abroad team:
Tel: 01326 259375
Placements & Employability, Falmouth University
Falmouth Campus, Woodlane, Falmouth, Cornwall TR11 4RH, UK