Event Attendees Privacy Notice
If you attend an event at Falmouth University, this privacy notice provides information on how we use your personal data.
This privacy notice explains how we use your data in relation to your attendance at an event at the University. Occasionally you may be asked if you would like to stay in touch with us and consent for your personal details to be retained and used to communicate with you (in accordance with your stated preferences). The processing of your personal data for this type of further communication is covered in our Email Subscribers Privacy Notice
The personal data we process will be:
- The information you provide in the form to register for an event or by other means such as in an email or over the telephone: your title, name, and full postal, email or telephone contact details
- Any other details specifically provided through our forms, eg. dietary needs
- For certain events we collect biographical information about you from publicly available sources and this may include photographs. This information will be provided to the host(s) to help with the flow of the event
- Records of communications sent to you by the University or that we receive from you in relation to an event you will attend/have attended
The University will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To reserve a place for you at the event(s) you desire to attend
- To provide you with information about the event(s) for which you have registered, that includes event updates, and possible changes, cancellation or similar information
- To provide you with information about accessibility, transportation, parking, etc. that may impact on your attendance to the event
- To fulfil and monitor our legal responsibilities, for example, under public safety legislation
- In accordance with your preferences, to communicate with you about other events, news, and opportunities at the University
We ask for your consent to process your personal data for the purposes set out above, and you can withdraw your consent at any time, except as set out below.
When we use your data we do so on the basis that this is necessary:
- In the public interest
- For scientific or historical research or statistical purposes
- For the purposes of the University's legitimate business interests (for example, in order to manage and develop its business)
We will only process your Special Category data (sensitive information about you, for example any allergies or other dietary requirements) with your explicit consent or if it is necessary:
- For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
- Very occasionally, when it is needed to protect your or another person's vital interests and you are not capable of giving your consent (for example, in an emergency)
- Archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes
Your information will be used throughout the University with only those staff who need to process your personal data for the purposes set out above.
Your personal data is shared as is necessary, on a considered and confidential basis, with several external organisations which assist with processing your information. Where this is the case, we will have formal agreements in place with any third party organisation and they will be acting in accordance with our instructions and will not process your data for any other purposes other than what we have asked them to do. Sometimes your personal data is processed by these organisations outside the European Economic Area (usually because they use cloud systems provided by companies such as Microsoft or Google). If this is the case then we always ensure appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
It is also sometimes necessary for us to share personal data with third parties as follows:
- Third parties engaged by the University to provide supporter and fundraising related services – we share biographical, contact and education details, professional details, volunteering and philanthropic details
- Event venue providers – names and accessibility and assistance requirements and related information
- The Charity Commission – for compliance with charity law
- The Office for Students - as our principal regulator for charity law purposes
- HMRC - as required for Gift Aid purposes
- Occasionally and when necessary, internal and external auditors or regulators
We will never share your personal data with external organisations for marketing their products or services. We do not sell your personal data and never will, to anyone, under any circumstances.
The information you provide when you register for an event will be kept for 2 years after the event has occurred.
If you consent to stay in touch with us, essential information to communicate with you will be kept until you withdraw your consent or unsubscribe to specific communication as explained in the Email Subscribers Privacy Notice
To find out more about your rights, please visit our privacy page
Does this page get updated?
This privacy notice is effective from the 25th of May 2018 and is reviewed annually. If we need to make changes, we'll let you know via email.