- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Do you want to learn how to make fiercely individual, dynamic and innovative fashion images? Whether it's captivating photographs, fashion films or media-merging animations, fashion photography is a profession at the cutting edge.
Supported by highly experienced, professionally active lecturers, you'll complete live briefs and form collaborations. Our multi-million-pound Photography Centre, one of the best student facilities in Europe, is equipped to help you create highly individual work. In addition, Cornwall's diverse landscape provides an extraordinary backdrop for developing photography and film-making skills on location.
You'll work across a range of media including fashion film, photography and animation, while experimenting with your way of capturing the ever-evolving world of fashion. You'll explore the use of advanced high-end retouching and specialist editing techniques, and be encouraged to seek international placements to gain a diverse and global understanding of the industry.
The course blends original creativity with frontline technology, and study is underpinned by a sound understanding of history and theory. We help you to develop the skills, confidence and imagination required to make your mark in this exciting but highly competitive world. You will graduate with a strong professional identity and an individual portfolio that showcases your distinctive style as an image-maker.
- Specialist instruction in professional studio and location practices for fashion photography, film and animation
- Collaborative live briefs that mirror the fashion photography industry and opportunities to attend leading international fashion weeks.
- Specialist instruction in high-end retouching and fashion film production
How is the course taught
This full-time practice-focused course is supported by excellent contact time with tutors, lectures, seminars, focus groups, studio and location-based technical instruction workshops, study trips to world-renowned fashion centres (during international fashion weeks) and work placements.
What you'll do
During year one you'll explore the analytical, creative and technical potential of fashion photography, both in the studio and on location. A series of editorial and advertising project briefs and accompanying lectures and workshops encourage you to understand the expressive and dynamic nature of fashion image-making. You'll be encouraged to explore your personal identity as a practitioner through investigating how personal practice relates to a broader arena of art and design.
- Opportunity to attend a study trip during London Fashion Week and collaborate with BA(Hons) students from Fashion Design, Performance Sportswear Design and Fashion Marketing
- Opportunity to engage with industry professionals to interview and photograph your fashion photography hero. Previously, students have interviewed: Tim Walker, Rankin, Nick Knight, David Bailey, Mary Katrantzou and Savannah Miller
- Opportunity to create a Zine in a day with Clive Crook, the Founding Art Director of ELLE magazine, UK
- Professional studio working
- Working on location
- Post-production: High-end retouching and compositing techniques (Photoshop)
- Professional and business aspects of working as a fashion photographer
- Histories and theories
Creative possibilities in fashion image-making are infinite. This year seeks to explore the impact and importance of new media through experimental fashion film animation and the manipulation of photographic imagery using non-destructive retouching practices. A platform for discussion and experimentation encourages students to realise a diverse portfolio of work that demonstrates a sensitive and considered use of light, colour, tone, composition and form.
In year two you'll also negotiate a personal body of work to locate individual interests, develop specialist practices and explore a 'signature style' of image-making.
- Opportunity to attend a study trip to an international fashion centre
- Working with brands and clients from the industry on live projects (previous and current clients include DC Shoes, WeSC and Fourth Element)
- Exploring fashion filmmaking, photography and animation during a live brief
- Digital imaging: learning advanced high-end retouching and compositing practices (Photoshop)
- Opportunity to undertake work experience/placements
- Opportunity to negotiate a personal body of work
- Histories and theories
In year three you'll define and undertake a final major project and be encouraged to exhibit your final work. You'll explore critical reflection, self-awareness and should develop your own professional identity, building on your skills. You'll gain an increased awareness of the need for a resourceful and professional approach towards building a career as a professional image-maker, and devise a personal strategy for continuing your practice and advancing your skills.
- Personal and professional development including the business aspects of working as a fashion photographer
- Final major project
- Major exhibition
Our Photography Centre and Fashion Studios include:
- Seven large professional studios with cutting-edge photographic equipment - regularly used by external professionals
- Fully colour-managed digital suites with specialist print processing facilities
- Specialist digital training facilities with Adobe Creative Suite
- Photography store containing an extensive range of industry-standard, cutting edge equipment available for loan from 9am-9pm, 7 days a week throught term time.
Our dedicated and dynamic course team are specialists and practitioners in the industry, joining us as fashion photographers, post-production and retouching specialists, art directors, stylists, visual merchandisers, designers and image-stock specialists.
They've worked for clients and publications such as ELLE magazine, Giorgio Armani and Vivienne Westwood, and exhibited their photographic work and BAFTA nominated/award-winning films internationally.
- Continuous assessment of visual, verbal and written assignments
- Portfolio submissions, support work and online presence
- Final year exhibition and portfolio
- Career as a fashion photographer, film-maker, picture editor, agent or researcher
- Work in creative art direction and management
- Career in post-production as a retouching artist or multimedia specialist
- Work across a range of disciplines in fashion, film and advertising
Current work experience and placements with
- Harper's Bazaar
- Ted Baker
- Paul Smith
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Fashion Photography group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form