- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
The BA(Hons) Animation & VFX course at Falmouth will prepare you for an exciting career in a rapidly growing industry. We place an emphasis on working collaboratively where you'll gain important team experience in animation production processes and work in a true-to-life simulated studio environment. We also recognise the importance of you developing your own portfolio and showreel to give you the perfect start in your chosen field of expertise.
Whether you want to produce 3D or 2D digital, traditional 2D or stop motion, our dedicated studios are fully supported by tutors and technicians with extensive industry experience. We’ll work closely with you to nurture your animation and VFX skills using industry-standard software and pipelines, enabling you to explore a wide range of media and help you to develop complementary skills in the areas of design, drawing, movement, character and storytelling.
- Opportunity for industry mentoring
- Live briefs with professional clients
- Guest lectures from industry experts
- Professional studio facilities and software
- Animation festival trips
How the course is taught
We want to produce graduates who are highly skilled and creative professionals. We'll identify and nurture your strengths through seminars, workshops and tutorials. Group work features heavily, to reflect how the industry operates. Assignments will often involve live briefs working with real clients.
The course will introduce you to all forms of animation, enabling you to try 2D & 3D CG, traditional 2D, stop-motion and experimental animation. Projects range from short assignments to comprehensive live briefs, working with our industry partners and expert staff for guidance throughout.
During your 2nd year you’ll have the opportunity to specialise and refine your skills in Animation or Visual Effects. It’s a decision we prepare you for and support en-route, as you explore the field in greater depth.
Your degree culminates in a final year major piece of animation, which you’ll both pitch and produce to an industry panel, a dissertation, showreel and portfolio. It’s a winning formula that equips you for the challenges of a hugely exciting industry.
What you'll do
Combining individual assignments and group projects, your 1st year is designed to provide you with the skills base and knowledge to creat your first animations. You’ll have the chance to try 2D & 3D CG, traditional 2D, stop-motion and experimental animation through a series of workshops, lectures and seminars. This practical work is supported by lectures in animation, drawing, design, storyboarding, and animation history and theory. Projects will be a mixture of short assignments and comprehensive live briefs, working with professionals from outside of the University.
- Animation practice
- Design, Storyboarding & Motion Studies
- History & Theory of Animation
- Study Trip - Optional study trip to an animation festival
Your 2nd year allows you to pick a pathway in either Animation or Visual Effects. During this year you’ll develop your individual Animation or VFX practice, galvanising your interests and skills. Part of your 2nd year entails becoming an essential member of the Production Team for one of the 3rd year projects as well as giving you greater insight into teamwork and collaboration.
Your 2nd year also allows you the opportunity to study at one of Falmouth’s international partners through Study Abroad.
As a complete creative University you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with students from other courses such as Film, Television, Acting and Illustration, often of benefit to your project work.
- Animation Practice
- Animation Technologies
- Electives - In either pre or post-production Animation & Visual Effects
- Research & Method
- Study Abroad
Your final year allows you to pitch and produce a major piece of animation. With support from tutors and visiting professionals you’ll develop an idea from initial concepts into a full animation production. Recent 3rd year students have enjoyed insight from companies such as Aardman Animation, Passion Pictures, TT Games, Spider Eye and Character Shop.
Your film productions will be additionally supported by an industry mentor. These mentors are based at some of the UK’s leading production companies and offer crucial developmental advice in your final year.
To support your practice you’ll also write a dissertation about a subject of your choice. Throughout the year you’ll benefit from close tutor support ensuring that you graduate with a strong showreel and portfolio, preparing you and helping you take the first steps in your professional career.
- Final Major Project
- Professional Practice
Our technical facility mirrors industry standards. During term-time, our facilities and kit stores are open to our students from 9am to midnight (weekdays) and on Saturdays.
You'll have access to:
- A large TV studio with three studio cameras and a 4 input Tricaster Ultra HD gallery facility with Chromatte grey screen, blue/green screen and full lighting rig
- Three animation software studios containing powerful Dell Precision Workstations for 2D (TV Paint) and 3D (Maya, Nuke) work with Cintiq 27" QHD displays
- Ten Mac Pro edit suites with Avid Media Composer, Adobe CC, Final Cut Pro and Da Vinci Resolve - network linked to Avid Nexis shared storage
- 35-seat Production Hub for post production software training equipped with Apple iMacs and creative software including Avid Media Composer, Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut Pro, Da Vinci resolve and Pro Tools. Production management software including Movie Magic scheduling and budgeting is also included on these machines
- Xsens motion capture
- Specialist grading suite featuring DaVinci Resolve and 4K preview screen
- Three post-production audio suites and dubbing theatre equipped with Pro Tools HD plus access to mics, foley traps and props
- Digital cameras (HD to 4K) include RED, Sony, Canon, Blackmagic, Panasonic plus Odyssey 7Q+, alongside Arri and Bolex 16mm film cameras.
- A wide range of hot and cold lighting equipment is available, including Blondes, Red Heads, Dedo, Kino Flo and LED lights
- Grip and gimbal systems available include Glidecam 2000 Pro and V8, Free-Fly Movi M5, Wally Dolly, Indie Dolly, PD1 Dolly, Spider Dolly, Koolertron Sliders, Libec and Camcrane Jibs
- Audio devices including 633 Sound Devices mixers, Edirol recorders, radio mikes and an extensive range of dynamic microphones
- 129-seat cinema, with Christie M Series HD projection and 7.2 surround sound
You will be taught by experienced and enthusiastic tutors and supported by a team of specialist technicians. Our team offers industry insight covering short and feature films, TV series, commercials, title sequences and games. Our current staff are authors on the subject, international conference speakers and boast a wealth of international festival accolades , such as BAFTA awards.
- Continuous assessment with no formal examinations
- Assignments include practical work, presentations, reports and a dissertation
Previous graduates have taken on roles including:
- 3D Animator: Aardman Animation & Double Negative
- 2D Animator: DHX Media
- Character Designer: Spider Eye & Hello Games
- VFX co-ordinator: Ubisoft, Framestore & Cinesite
- 3D Modeller: TT Fusion
- Production Assistants: MPC Vancouver, Illion studios, Arthur Cox & Spider Eye
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Animation & Visual Effects group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
- BA(Hons) Animation & Visual Effects Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form