- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Heart. Head. Soul. Great advertising connects and we know how to make connections happen. Our course is for people who think creatively, get bored easily and want every day to be different.
A portfolio of great work is essential to secure a job but so are the personal connections with industry that you will make whilst you are still a student. To help facilitate this Year 1 students visit top London agencies, Year 2 students have the chance to exhibit their portfolio of work at the annual D&AD 'New Blood' show in London, which is attended by advertising creative directors.
Designed in consultation with agency creatives, social media experts and brand managers, this course is your first step to working in advertising, equipping you with the skills, market knowledge and professional contacts to become an informed practitioner primed to shape the future of advertising.
The course is run by ex-creative directors and practising advertising professionals, which means you’ll get valuable insight and experience – whether it’s unmatchable access to agencies through site visits and placements, or guest lectures and hands-on workshops from the best in the business.
Alongside academic debate and essential theory, you'll gain first-hand practical experience of the advertising process, devising and planning campaigns for real products and services to hone your skills in copywriting, planning, strategy and brand management. You'll get to know social media, community-generating platforms, guerrilla marketing, viral marketing, digital product placement and ambient advertising, as well as more traditional advertising media.
The advertising world is evolving at an incredible pace and we make sure you stay ahead of the curve, constantly updating course content to reflect the industry – so you're ready to make your mark when you graduate.
How is the course taught
This is a full-time practice-based course. It's focused on creative and strategic communication skills, and underpinned with a theoretical understanding of the industry and its contexts. You'll work on live projects (in groups and individually) and participate in study visits.
- Work in an advertising agency as a creative, account executive or strategic planner
- Career as a marketing professional
- Work as a freelance consultant
- Portfolio career including teaching and postgraduate study
- Continuous assessment of visual, verbal and written assignments
- Final year dissertation and portfolio
Experience you'll get
- Live projects with local and national organisations
- London study visits to spend time in leading London agencies
- Input from key industry figures
- Member of the D&AD
- Member of YCN
- Opportunity to show your work at the D&AD New Blood exhibition upon graduation
- Work placement module in year two
By choosing to study for a degree in Creative Advertising at Falmouth you will:
- Benefit from being taught by friendly staff who are working at the very highest levels of the advertising industry.
- Learn a wide range of skills, with a strong emphasis on emerging media technologies and online advertising.
- Become adept at visual and verbal communication through practical, studio-based learning.
- Gain valuable insight through regular visits from communications experts, plus a programme of guest lectures where you'll hear from advertising specialists from all areas of the industry.
- Undertake units of study within the advertising industry itself, benefiting from our strong links with some of the UK's most respected practitioners.
- Receive insight and inspiration from study visits spent at a range of top London advertising organisations.
- Be based at the inspiring Penryn Campus, which boasts a wide array of world-class facilities.
Interview and selection process
All applicants are invited to interview. There will be a group tour of the facilities followed by a creative exercise working to an advertising brief in small groups. Applicants are required to bring an advertising campaign that appeals to them to the interview session.
Interviews are currently taking place.
Location: Penryn Campus
What you'll do
Teaching-led, in your first year we'll help you get to grips with the fundamentals of advertising through practical and theoretical study, from creative approaches to problem solving, to why we buy. You'll also get a rare chance to visit London's ad land to see how it's done for real.
In your second year you'll feel ready to take control of your own learning, creating campaigns to brief and stretching your advertising muscles. You'll find out more about building a brand and designing a strategy while becoming fluent in emerging technologies.
Ready to fly, your final year will see you confidently take on advanced campaign creation, constructing the portfolio that will carry you into the industry. You'll also identify and complete your dissertation.