- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Responsive and progressive, Photography at Falmouth has a stellar international reputation. During your degree you'll be supported to develop your individual way of seeing the world, whether you're interested in a commercial, gallery or editorial career.
Taught by a team of active practitioners, students benefit from a rich and far reaching professional network. Throughout, we offer live briefs, an international symposium and guest lecturers such as Hannah Starkey, Zed Nelson, Peter Fraser, Karen Knorr, David Campany and Anthony Luvera.
The degree is designed to prepare you for a range of photographic routes, with previous alumni working for high profile clients such as Chanel, the New York Times and Channel 4, attracting international acclaim en route.
- National and international placements
- Professional facilities and equipment free to loan
- Portfolio reviews from visiting experts
- Paid opportunities at our in house photo agency
- Opportunities to exhibit and publish your work
- Optional study trip to New York
How the course is taught
A practice-based course, project work is supported by trips to local and national galleries, studios and companies. Core teaching involves an extensive programme of practical inductions, tutorials, seminars, lectures, workshops and group activities. As you progress, you'll be encouraged to question and engage with photographic debates, developing your professional practice and fluency.
BA(Hons) Photography prioritises your individual interests, drawing out your unique potential so that your work can play a part in the changing landscape of professional photographic territories. The course challenges you to think beyond predictable modes of representation while also supporting you with high staff contact time to articulate and develop your own ideas.
What you'll do
In your first year you'll begin to develop your specialist photographic knowledge as we introduce you to a range of technologies and techniques. You'll examine critical photographic debates that are pertinent to your work. You'll also take part in a collaborative exhibition project.
- Practice - core skills development through practical projects
- Ways of seeing, taking and making – develop your critical analysis and professional fluency
- Practice - technologies, techniques and modes of presentation
- Inquiry, theory and practice
With the fundamentals now familiar you'll be encouraged to work with increasing independence as you begin to develop your own unique photographic voice. Live briefs and work placements support the development of your professional practice while also raising your level of technical skill.
- Portfolio Development – digital photographic assignments
- Ways of seeing, taking and making - key themes, ideas and theories in contemporary practice
- Professional practice, technologies and techniques – explore the commercial environment, from legal frameworks to live work placements
- Research project preparation – consolidate your critical and analytical skills
- Portfolio development – complete a major body of independent photographic practice
With improved confidence, a well-rounded skill set and a host of exciting ideas you will be ready to undertake both your final photographic portfolios and your dissertation.
- Photographic practice - development and final portfolios
- Public presentation audience and context – develop a presentation of your work, showcased during the Degree Shows
The multimillion-pound Institute of Photography offers facilities including:
- Large professional studios
- Black & white and colour darkrooms and process areas
- Fully colour-managed digital suites
- Film and paper processing facilities
- Digital training area with Adobe Creative Suite
- Professional printing and mounting services
- Photography store containing a wide range of equipment for loan
You'll be taught by a team of active practitioners, well known across the professional worlds of fine art photography, documentary, advertising, publishing, writing and curating. You'll also benefit from the network of visiting professionals who contribute to teaching and placements.
- Continuous assessment of visual, verbal and written assignments
- Live briefs throughout the course
- Final year portfolio
- Roles in post-production, picture research, media production, editorial or printing
- Roles in curating, arts administration or publishing
- Portfolio career including teaching and postgraduate study
- Photographer: Cadbury, Big Sky Studios, Tate Gallery
- Curator: Midlands Art Centre
- Digital Retoucher
- Picture Editor
- Freelancer: assisting Rankin, Nadav Kander, Ray Massey
- Sub-editor: Monocle Magazine, London
- Exhibited at Photographers' Gallery London and LA Noble Gallery
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Photography group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
- BA(Hons) Photography Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: email@example.com
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form