- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
- Do your prefer to 'learn by doing' rather than sitting in lectures?
- Do you want to gain in depth understanding of business and entrepreneurship?
- Do you want to stand out from the crowd to employers?
- Do you hope to establish a company or launch a business idea?
Being an entrepreneur is both an art and a science so it makes sense to learn your craft at Falmouth, a creative University. Here you’ll learn business skills and how to apply them by starting and growing an innovative business based on spotting, validating and implementing opportunities. You’ll develop as a creative, capable and well connected team entrepreneur with the confidence and courage to realise your ambitions. This course is applicable to those wishing to seek employment as well as those wanting to start their own business or social enterprise.
- Learn business skills and apply them in a real company with real customers
- Build your entrepreneurial mindset and capability
- Develop your collaboration, team-working and leadership skills
- Create your own network of contacts for the future
How the course is taught
Based on the principles of the internationally proven model first developed in Finland, the course is studied full-time from our Penryn Campus. You’ll be matched with other budding entrepreneurs to form a ‘Team Company’ in which you will be an equal owner/shareholder. Typically a private company limited by shares, this is a real business trading with customers and forms a ‘learning team’ with which to innovate, share experiences and build knowledge.
You'll develop your business knowledge through workshops, team-coaching sessions, dialogue, learning groups, visiting entrepreneurs and your own research. Straight away you apply this to your business so you ‘learn by doing’ and develop as a team entrepreneur. We support you to spot and implement business opportunities and to take on leadership roles in finance, marketing and business operations. We’ll challenge you to experiment and learn from your failures as well as your successes.
Your entrepreneurial activity generates the evidence for your course work assessments.
Please note that as this course involves setting up a business in the UK, we regret that this course is not available to international (non-EU) applicants who would require a Tier 4 Student Visa.
The three strands: ‘Business’; ‘Teams’ and ‘Personal development’ means you can learn and apply your business knowledge as well as develop your capability to initiate, lead and contribute to teams at the same time developing your self-leadership, confidence, resilience and interpersonal skills. At Falmouth University you have the potential to collaborate with people and courses right across the creative industries.
What you'll do
You’ll gain an understanding of company formation and legal responsibilities as well as learn about finances, business development, market research and building teams. You’ll undertake business activities as a Team Company as well as working with smaller teams that may involve collaborating with colleagues from other Team Companies. Supported throughout by your coach you create your personal learning contract that recognises the skills you bring with you and sets goals for areas you’d like to develop.
Now you gain more advanced business knowledge including financial management, HR processes and customer management and apply this to your growing business activities. You continue to develop your leadership and project management skills and contribute towards entrepreneurial team work. You’ll be able to develop expertise and contacts in your areas of interest and with your company colleagues decide what to do with any profits you generate.
You’ll start to creatively explore the possibilities after graduation and start to focus your business activity and leadership on supporting your personal goals. As well as learning how to dissolve a company you’ll undertake a substantial entrepreneurial project to research, design and model your future aspirations. This may be a plan for a new venture or to support your employment ambitions.
We have a dedicated space for your course and encourage you to use facilities on and off the campus as well as get yourself out and about to meet your customers.
- Professional design and prototyping tools
- IT suites and software packages
- Excellent media facilities for producing promotional material and audio-visual content
- Libraries housing a collection of 140,000 books, 17,000 DVD and video titles, and electronic and journal resources
Experience you'll get
- Experience of starting up and managing a real business
- A network of business contacts
- Become part of an international community learning through the team entrepreneurship approach
- Develop a product or service with the chance of making a real profit
- Manage your own learning through an individual learning contract
- Coursework and written assignments
- Company owner and manager
- Management roles in a wide variety of sectors and creative industries
- Product/service development
- Consultancy work and project management
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet. Our student mentors are now on Facebook. To chat to a mentor about the course, living in Cornwall or what to expect at Falmouth, check out the Business Entrepreneurship group. You'll need to join the group before you can post.
- BA(Hons) Business Entrepreneurship Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: email@example.com
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form
Join us for the day at the Penryn Campus and experience a taste of the 'learning by doing approach', which is an essential element to studying this degree. Meet some of the team coaches and work alongside other like-minded students.
Taster days are free of charge.
Taster Days 2016
- Friday 7 October 11.00 - 15.00
- Friday 28 October 11.00 - 15.00
- Friday 18 November 11.00 - 15.00
To book your free place: