Interview Information: Technical Theatre Arts BA(Hons)
Location: Penryn Campus
The following information is intended for applicants who have already been invited to an interview, to help them prepare. Please note, it may change from year to year.
We invite all applicants who show potential to an interview. Interviews are two-way: they give you the opportunity to show your creative skills and interview us; and they help us to assess further your potential to succeed in your chosen subject. If you are based outside the UK/EU, and are unable to come to Falmouth, you'll be interviewed online or by telephone.
We'll use the Applicant Portal to invite you to an interview:
- Log in to the Falmouth Applicant Portal
If, in order to attend an in-person on campus interview, you have any individual requirements due to a long-term health condition, specific learning difficulty or disability, please contact the Accessibility Service as soon as possible:
- Tel: 01326 370460 (text/telephone)
- Email: email@example.com
This will enable us to discuss and put in place any support or adjustments you may require, for example, hearing induction loop, BSL interpreter, adjusted interview time/length, ground floor interview room or information in a different format.
1. Where can I find my interview date and time? Where can I find alternative dates?
You can find your interview details and reschedule your interview in the Applicant Portal
You can also see a list of alternative dates in the Applicant Portal if you're not able to make the one we've allocated to you. If you do need to reschedule we would advise you do this as soon as you can as dates fill up quickly.
2. How can I find local overnight accommodation?
3. What do I need to bring with me?
Please bring two items. Such as images, sound files or artefacts, that stimulate your interest in working within the area of Technical Theatre Arts. The items can be drawn from any of the following:
- Your own personal work
- A production, concert or event you've been involved with or attended
- Items that inspire you in a particular way
If you have a portfolio of work you'd like to show us, you're welcome to do so. However we're equally interested in you and your potential to succeed in a Technical Theatre Arts environment regardless of previous experience.
Before Skype interviews, we ask that candidates email us an attachment or link to images, videos or sound files that stimulate your interest in working within Technical Theatre Arts. There should be two separate items which can be drawn from any of the following:
- Your own personal work
- A production, concert or event that you have been involved with or attended
- Any items that inspire you in a particular way
4. What will happen at my interview?
We'll invite up to 12 candidates per interview day, which will include:
- A tour of The Academy of Music and Theatre Arts (AMATA) building including an introduction to technical facilities
- A chance to meet current AMATA students
- An interview with course staff
- A tour of the campus and accommodation
- A chance to attend a short live performance (subject to performance schedules)
5. How can I prepare for my interview?
- Think carefully about the two items you'll be bringing. You'll be asked to describe why you've chosen them and how they relate to your area of personal interest.
- If your items include digital audio and/or visual images, please bring them with you rather than relying on an internet connection. We'll provide a laptop, screen and sound system if you would like to bring them on a USB memory stick or DVD. Please note that physical artefacts such as photographs/pictures, props, or pieces of writing are equally valid.
- Your interview day is also your chance to find out all you need to know to make an informed decision about your future. It's important that you get a feel for what studying at Falmouth will be like, so have a think about the questions you'd like to ask us.
- Have a good look around the Academy of Music And Theatre Arts pages on the Falmouth University website and have a think about what sparks your interest in studying with us. You'll be asked this at your interview!
6. What are you looking for in a successful applicant?
- Enthusiasm for and a demonstrable interest in live performance, Technical Theatre Arts and associated creative industries.
- Willingness and ability to work hard and, when necessary, over long hours. As is often required in a performance context.
- Ability to work in diverse environments and with a variety of people.
- Interview conversation
7. When will I know the outcome of my interview?
We aim to make all decisions within five working days of interviews. However, in some cases, we might wait until we have held a batch of interview sessions before we make a decision. All decisions will be made online in your UCAS Track account and we will also email you.