Interview Information: Sustainable Product Design BA(Hons)
Location: Falmouth Campus
The following information is intended for applicants who have already been invited to an interview, to help them prepare. Please note, it may change from year to year.
We invite all applicants who show potential to an interview. Interviews are two-way: they give you the opportunity to show your creative skills and interview us; and they help us to assess further your potential to succeed in your chosen subject. If you are based outside the UK/EU, and are unable to come to Falmouth, you'll be interviewed online or by telephone.
We'll use the Applicant Portal to invite you to an interview:
- Log in to the Falmouth Applicant Portal
If, in order to attend an in-person on campus interview, you have any individual requirements due to a long-term health condition, specific learning difficulty or disability, please contact the Accessibility Service as soon as possible:
- Tel: 01326 370460 (text/telephone)
- Email: email@example.com
This will enable us to discuss and put in place any support or adjustments you may require, for example, hearing induction loop, BSL interpreter, adjusted interview time/length, ground floor interview room or information in a different format.
1. Where can I find my interview date and time? Where can I find alternative dates?
2. How can I find local overnight accommodation?
For a list of local hotels and B&Bs visit the Falmouth Town website
Our campus locations are on our How to Find Us page
3. What do I need to bring with me?
- Your portfolio
- Development sheets
- Photo documentation of any large scale prototypes
4. What will happen at my interview?
In-person on campus interviews only
We invite up to 8 applicants to each interview session.
During this time there'll be a short introduction to the session by a member of the academic team and a tour of the design studio, digital manufacturing and model-making workshops, and campus facilities by one of our student ambassadors. You'll have the chance to chat to current students and there'll be opportunities to ask questions throughout the session. You'll then be interviewed individually by a member of academic staff providing you with the opportunity to discuss your portfolio and interest in sustainable design. You'll be asked to select examples from your portfolio and sketchbooks to support your answers to our questions. The individual interview will last approximately 20 minutes.
You can expect to be here for about 3 hours.
Skype/telephone interviews only
A member of the academic staff will hold a 30 minute interview with you via Skype. There'll be a 5 minute introduction period so we can get to know you a bit better, followed by a 20 minute discussion around your portfolio of work and your interest in sustainable design. You should have a copy of your portfolio open on your device at the same time so you can guide the member of staff to particular projects that demonstrate your skills. There'll then be a 5 minute question period where you can ask staff about the course and broader questions you may have about Falmouth and Higher Education.
5. How can I prepare for my interview?
Please begin by preparing a portfolio of your art and design work. Typically applicants will showcase between 4 and 8 projects. Please don't bring large three dimensional pieces. We'd rather see photographs of these if you have them.
Your portfolio should be:
- Current, even if it's not sustainable product design
- Mounted on plain white cartridge paper, not on heavy mounting board
Your portfolio should demonstrate your:
- Design process skills
- Ability to conduct and utilise research to inform design direction
- Ability to generate and develop ideas in response to a brief
- Skills in drawing and mark making
- Use of a range of media
- Understanding of a design process
- Professional practice skills
- Model-making skills in card and lightweight materials
- Ability to use a range of production methods and materials to create prototypes
- Ability to detail designs using 2D and 3D CAD, including renders and technical drawings
Think about your responses to questions such as:
- Why have you chosen to study Sustainable Product Design at Falmouth?
- What aspect of Sustainable Product Design at Falmouth really interests you?
- Tell me how and when you use research to develop your design ideas?
- Can you show me a range of how you communicate your design ideas?
- Can you tell me about how you have made a prototype of a design?
- What are you currently involved in besides your current studies?
- What are your ambitions?
You'll be given the opportunity to use pieces from your portfolio to illustrate your answers.
We recommend you familiarise yourself with the information on the BA(Hons) Sustainable Product Design course page
6. What are you looking for in a successful applicant?
A successful applicant will be able to evidence their skills, their enthusiasm and commitment to their subject according to the following criteria:
Criteria to be assessed
drawing/mark-making; composition; colour; form; graphical presentation; creative exploration and development
knowledge of 3D/product design practitioners or other artists/designers; sense of how this knowledge relates to own work
design process; concept development; investigation into materials and into production methods; technical skills; research and analytical skills
commitment and/or enthusiasm for this subject area; motivation; communication skills; creative thinking
Qualifications relevant to, and perceived aptitude for, the course of study
7. When will I know the outcome of my interview?
We aim to make all decisions within five working days of interviews. However, in some cases, we might wait until we have held a batch of interview sessions before we make a decision. All decisions will be made online in your UCAS Track account and we will also email you.