Length: 6 or 10 weeks full-time
Direct line: 01326 213730
Application and visa information: email@example.com
Applications are closed for 2017/18 entry.
Improve your English and adjust to a new study environment, while enjoying Falmouth and the beautiful Cornish coastline. Successful completion of Falmouth University's Pre-sessional language course means you can progress to your main undergraduate course at Falmouth University without having to take another external English language test.
(Progression to your main University course is not guaranteed; you'll need to pass the Pre-sessional language course in order to progress; the language course is recognised by Falmouth University only, you'll not receive an externally recognised English Language award.)
There will be 20+ contact hours per week focusing on the language and study skills required for Falmouth University's courses. This includes weekly one-to-one tutorials with a personal tutor. The aims of this course are:
- To develop your understanding of and ability to use English appropriately in an academic environment
- To ensure you have met the minimum English language requirement expected on Falmouth University's undergraduate degrees
- To help you develop the academic study skills and strategies that will enable successful study on degree courses
The course will also help to increase your confidence and prepare you for degree studies, while giving you the opportunity to make friends, become familiar with Falmouth and settle into university life.
The course includes a programme of cultural visits to local museums, galleries and places of interest; with weekend social activities such as beach BBQs, surfing and day trips to sights around Cornwall.
Assessment is based on a Learning Portfolio which includes:
- A 1000 word essay on a topic related to your academic interest.
- A five minute presentation on the essay topic with follow up QA.
- Final exit tests (reading, writing, listening).
- Learning record - weekly practice tasks, an independent learning diary, course participation and tutorial notes.
This course is for international and EU applicants who have accepted an offer to study at undergraduate level and who need to improve their English to the required level.
- 10 week course - Applicants need an overall IELTS score of 5.0 (no less than 5.0 in each band)
- 6 week course - Applicants need an overall IELTS score of 5.5 (no less than 5.5 in each band)
Please note the IELTS needs to have been obtained through a Secure English Language Testing provider. The UKVI list of approved IELTS test centres that offer the secure test (SELT) can be found on the gov.uk website
We can offer scholarships for the Pre-sessional English Language Course, paid as a fee waiver of the course fees. Applying for a scholarship involves writing a short statement on the Pre-sessional application form. You can also apply for our scholarships for undergraduate courses