Making an Application

1. How do I apply?

Foundation Diploma courses

UK/EU applicants

For UK/EU applicants, there are three stages to the application process for our Foundation Diploma in Art & Design: completing an online application form, completing a project and attending an interview.

Full details, including key dates and the link to the online application form, can be found under 'How to Apply' on the Foundation course page

International applicants

If you are a non-UK/EU applicant there is no deadline for applying for our Foundation Diploma or International Foundation Diploma. If you are interested in applying, please download and complete the application form under 'How to Apply' on the Foundation course page and International Foundation course page

Undergraduate courses

To apply to one of our on-campus undergraduate courses you will need to make an application through UCAS

Postgraduate courses

Postgraduate UK/EU applicants need to apply direct to Falmouth using the link to the online application form under 'How to Apply' on each course page.

International applicants should contact the International Office in the first instance, for specific information about the application criteria.

Research degrees

To apply for a research degree you will need to complete an Expression of Interest form in the first instance and send it to the Research Student Administrator

Your Expression of Interest will be submitted to the Research Degrees Committee for review. An outcome will be agreed and you may then be asked to submit a full application.

Can I change my application part-way through the process?

If you wish to apply to a different course, please contact the Admissions team as soon as possible to ensure places are still available. Similarly, if you need to update your contact details, please let us know. However, once the application process has commenced, you cannot re-submit an application or any samples of work you have already submitted for that course.

Can I change my application to deferred entry once I've applied?

While we welcome deferred entry at the time of application, once an offer has been made we can only defer your entry in exceptional circumstances. Your request will need to be put in writing and supporting evidence sent to Admissions. Please contact the Admissions team as soon as possible if you find yourself in this situation.

Can I do a ‘top-up' year?

We offer a dedicated top-up year for BA(Hons) Creative Advertising but we also allow entry to the third year of some of our other undergraduate degrees. Typically we ask applicants to hold a Foundation Degree, a Higher National Diploma, 240 higher education credits or other relevant and equivalent Level 5 qualifications evidenced through the Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) process. Applications are made through UCAS, selecting Level 3 as the point of entry. To discuss whether a top-up year is possible with your qualifications, please contact the Admissions team.

Can I make a late application after the deadline has passed?

If you are a UK/EU applicant and places are still available on your chosen course, then we may be able to accept late applications until the course becomes full. However, for Foundation Diploma and Undergraduate applications, we do recommend you submit your application before the deadline to maximise your chances of gaining a place.

International applications will be considered at any point, as long as places are available. Students who require a general student visa to enter the UK should allow plenty of time prior to the start of the course to apply for and obtain a visa.

Can I nominate someone else to handle my application?

We will not discuss your application with anyone apart from you unless you formally ask us to. If you'd like someone else to handle your application on your behalf, please send a letter to the Admissions office with the details of your nominated contact. International applicants may use a Falmouth-approved and contracted in-country agent to act on their behalf.

Can I reapply to Falmouth if I've been unsuccessful?

While you can't reapply to the same course in the same admissions cycle, we would welcome another application from you next year. It is possible to apply to a different course at Falmouth in the same admissions year, if there are places available.

Can I transfer to Falmouth University from another university?

Yes, we welcome applications to the second year of an undergraduate degree, as long as places are available and you have the necessary 120 credits, or equivalent, from the first year of a degree elsewhere. We accept transfers for the beginning of an academic year with the relevant credits. Most of our courses will accept direct entry into the second year with credits from a previous institution gained within the last five years. Sometimes we can consider experience in lieu of formal qualifications through the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) process.

A few of our courses will admit students to the final third year of a degree, subject to places being available and if you have completed two years of higher education already. Please check with the Admissions team for advice on the course you're interested in.

Can I use qualifications or industry experience I already have to start part-way through a course?

Yes, in some circumstances you can. Qualifications obtained from recent study, such as transferring from another university mid-way through an undergraduate degree, can be considered through the Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) process. Similarly, relevant industry experience can be considered in place of qualifications through the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) process. Find out more about APL and APEL

Do I need to declare a criminal conviction?

Yes, you must declare any relevant criminal conviction you hold. However before we consider this conviction, your application will be assessed on academic merit and creative ability. If we think you may be qualified for a place, we will consider the wider issues surrounding your conviction, including the interests and safety of all members of the Falmouth community, prior to offering you a place to study with us.

To enable us to make a fully informed decision, we may request a disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). We also reserve the right to make such a check at a later date.

We consider a relevant criminal conviction to be a conviction for an offence against a person, whether of a violent or sexual nature, or drug offences where the conviction concerns commercial drug dealing or trafficking. Spent convictions, as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, are not subject to our criminal convictions procedures. For more detailed information, please download our Criminal Convictions Policy below:

Criminal Convictions Policy (112.29 KB)

How do I take a gap year?

If you wish to take a year out between college and an undergraduate course at university, please apply through UCAS for a deferred place while you are still at college. As an example, UCAS allows you to select either September 2012 or September 2013 as a start date, at the time of filling out your application form online. Your chosen universities will receive all applications at the same time. This way you can plan your year out and we can plan how many spaces to allocate for the following year. If you do not apply for a deferred place through UCAS, we will not be able to grant you a gap year at a later stage, unless there are very serious reasons for your request.

We do not accept deferred applications for the foundation course, postgraduate or research degrees.

I am returning to study after a break from education. How do I apply?

You need to apply in the same way as other applicants. Undergraduate applicants must apply through UCAS. Other applications are made direct to Falmouth. See 'how do I apply?' above.

Is there a minimum or maximum age requirement for applying?

All applicants apply in the same way, regardless of their age. Undergraduate applicants must apply using UCAS, other applications are made direct to Falmouth. See 'how do I apply?' above.

There is no upper or lower age limit for students entering higher education. However, the recognised entry requirements for Falmouth's courses are unlikely to be achieved by most candidates below the age of 17. If a student is under the age of 18 on joining Falmouth, we will send you a form of consent, which will need to be signed by you and your parent or guardian. In the case of emergencies, a member of Falmouth staff may need to act in loco parentis (in place of a parent) and this is a requirement of an offer being made to someone under 18.

What do you mean by a reference?

A reference is also known as a letter of recommendation. We would generally expect your reference to be written by an academic tutor who can attest to your suitability for study and to your enthusiasm for your chosen subject. However, if you're not currently in education, an employer can also write a reference or letter of recommendation for you.

What happens next after I've applied?

Foundation Diploma

You will be emailed a project brief to complete by early January. Every UK/EU applicant who completes the project according to the brief will be invited to an interview. Interviews are usually held in the middle of February. For more details about the interview please visit the course page.

Applicants who are not in the UK and are unable to attend an interview in person will be offered a telephone or Skype interview.

Undergraduate courses

We will let you know as soon as we've begun to process your application, usually by email and with a letter to your correspondence address. Depending on the course you've applied to, you may be required to complete a project or submit some work to help us decide whether to invite you to an interview. The UCAS cycle opens in October each year. We are normally in a position to start considering applications in November, for entry the following September.

Postgraduate courses

We will let you know as soon as we've begun to process your application, usually by email. The course team will assess your application and decide whether to invite you to interview. Applicants who are not in the UK and are unable to attend an interview in person will be interviewed over the telephone or via Skype. Depending on the course you have applied to, you may be required to bring a portfolio with you or upload additional material.

Research degrees

Once a full application has been submitted, you may be asked to attend an interview. If you've applied for a studentship, your application will be reviewed against the other applicants and a shortlist of candidates will be selected for interview.

What if I already hold an equivalent qualification to the one I want to apply to?

If you are a UK/EU resident applying to a course which is at an equivalent or lower level to a qualification that you already hold, you will be considered as ‘ELQ status' by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). This may mean that you will not be eligible for government student finance and you will have to fund your studies privately.

For example, if you were to apply for BA(Hons) Fine Art and you already held a BSc in Computer Science, you would be considered ELQ because both courses are at an equivalent level. An applicant with a postgraduate MA applying for a BA(Hons) undergraduate degree would also be classed as ELQ for funding purposes. ELQ status does not apply to International applicants.

What is the deadline for applying?

Foundation Diploma

The deadline for applications is usually early December in the year prior to the year you will commence studying. For example, an application would need to be submitted by December 2012 for September 2013 entry. We are unable to accept late applications for the Foundation Diploma due to the large volume of on-time applications we need to assess. For more details about the application process, please see the Foundation course page.

Undergraduate courses

The deadline for all UCAS undergraduate courses is 15 January in the year you wish to commence studying. In practice, we may be able to accept late applications if places are still available. It's best to check with the Admissions team first. If you wish to take a gap year and apply for a deferred place, you need to apply a year early. For example, applications for 2014 entry must be made by 15 January 2013.

Our online distance learning courses offer a range of deadlines as they have multiple entry points throughout the year. Please check the individual course pages for deadlines.

Postgraduate courses

There are no fixed deadlines for our postgraduate courses. However we do recommend that applications are submitted in February or March of the year you wish to commence study, to maximise the chance of places being available and to give you time to secure funding.

What UCAS codes will I need?

The institution code for Falmouth University is F33. You will also need the course code for the course you are applying to. You can find this on the UCAS website or on the relevant course page.

Will a disability affect my application?

We are committed to ensure that, wherever practical, students with disabilities are able to study with us through the support and facilities available. You should declare your disability when you apply so we are able to correctly assess how we can support you through the application process and beyond, if you were to become a student here. Your academic ability will be assessed by academic staff and the Accessibility Service will assess the support we can offer you.