Discover the potential of wearable technology with this introductory workshop. Designed for participants with very limited or no electronics or programming experience, this course will appeal to artists, designer/makers and creative businesses, and provides a hands-on opportunity to explore how this cutting edge technology can be used.
AIR Falmouth are collaborating with Creative Skills to deliver this workshop.
We'll be working with the Arduino Lilypad platform to enhance a garment or accessory with a range of sensors that add style or functionality.
At the end of the workshop, attendees will:
- Have an understanding of the technology and how it is being utilised elsewhere
- Learn how to set up an Arduino Lilypad and link it to their own laptop
- Have an opportunity to play and experiment with the technology in a supported way
- Have a project to take away and the confidence, inspiration and resources to continue to develop it
- Know where to find and how to use online resources and documentation for independent learning
- Understand the limits and the potential of the technology
Day 1: Introduction to wearable technology and the Arduino Lilypad
- Introduction to the field of wearable technology - history of wearable tech and some examples of current uses.
- Overview of the Arduino Lilypad platform and open source
- Demo of Arduino Lilypad, materials and equipment
- Simple project: Making an LED bracelet
- Developing some ideas for the project on day 2
Day 2: Project Day
- Explore materials and equipment further to enable participants to use, build and make sensors
- Supported programming
- Guided sewing
- Plan ways to expand your project in the future including internet of things and e-textiles
Up to 15 representatives Cornish SMEs from the creative sector - artists and creative practitioners. We are particularly keen to encourage attendance by women and will reserve seven places for women.
Please note that participants will need to bring their own laptop.
For eligible participants the cost of the workshop is £40 and this will cover all materials and refreshments. To check eligibility please contact Karen from Creative Skills: email@example.com
We have received funding to be able to offer this course at a highly subsidised rate. All participants need to attend both days of the course.
To book a place on the workshop please contact Karen from Creative Skills: firstname.lastname@example.org