How to Apply for Accommodation
Find everything you need to know about applying for university halls of residence.
|Wednesday 1 April||Applications open|
|Wednesday 6 May||Ballot deadline|
|Sunday 31 May||Deadline for all applications (applications received after 5pm on 6 May will be processed on a first come, first served basis)|
Registering for accommodation
Before you can make an application you'll need to register an account with Room Service, our online accommodation booking system.
To register you will need:
- Your seven digit student ID number
- Your full name. We require your full legal first and last name for contract purposes
- Your date of birth
- An email address that will be available to you throughout the process. A school or college email address is not suitable and will mean that you miss out on important information prior to arrivals
Applying for accommodation
Applications for accommodation will open at 12pm on Wednesday 1 April. All UK/EU first year undergraduate students are guaranteed a bed space in university owned, managed or approved residences, as long as your application is submitted by 31 May. Applications recieved before 6 May will be processed by ballot, which means everyone has the same chance to secure their preferred accommodation. All applications submitted after 5pm on 6 May will be processed on a first come, first served basis for remaining accommodation options.
If you miss the deadline, don’t panic. While we can’t guarantee you a place in university owned, managed or approved accommodation, we can still help. The Accommodation Office can talk you through your options, the availability in our halls of residence and renting private accommodation.
Choosing your student home
When Room Service registration opens you’ll be able to view information about all our university halls of residence. In your application you’ll simply select your accommodation options in order of preference. Each room type counts as an accommodation preference.
Keep in mind:
- Once you’ve made your selection you won’t be able to change it, so make sure you’re happy before you press apply.
- You can apply any time while the ballot is open, so don’t worry if you miss the first day.
- Applications submitted after 5pm on 6 May will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis for the remaining accommodation options.
- After the ballot deadline has passed Room Service will randomly generate the order in which applications received during the ballot are processed.
- We are unable to guarantee an offer of your first preference of accommodation.
If you have specific accommodation needs for health, medical or welfare reasons, please contact the Accommodation Office as soon as possible. You’ll be required to provide some documentation (ie supporting medical evidence) and we‘ll liaise with Student Services to discuss suitable accommodation options.
You’ll still be required to submit an application through Room Service and we recommend you apply during the ballot period. Please provide as much information as possible about your needs, in the notes section of the application. If we need more information, we’ll send you an email.
In the application you can include living preferences such as quiet, single or mixed gender, alcohol free and meat free flats. These preferences will be taken into consideration when allocating but they are subject to availability.
We strongly advise that you complete the application yourself rather than asking someone else to complete it for you. This is especially important when selecting living preferences as someone acting on your behalf may select options you do not want.
Need advice about private sector accommodation?
We’re happy to help you find private sector accommodation. Make sure you look at Cornwall Studentpad, the Accommodation Office’s interactive online resource of private sector accommodation. It includes a database of available student properties like shared houses, flats, and lodgings.
Join our Facebook group to find housemates
Looking to share private sector accommodation? Get involved with our Facebook group: Find a Student Housemate Falmouth, Cornwall to find fellow Falmouth students who are in the same boat.
Get in touch
Talk to our current students about everything from accommodation to student life.