- UCAS Code
- Penryn Campus
- 3 years full-time
- Direct line
- 01326 213730
Studying Sportswear Design will put you at the heart of one of the fastest growth arenas in fashion.
Design companies, manufacturers and retailers are diversifying into the sports apparel area and Sportswear Design is one of very few UK courses offering specialised training to address this expanding market.
- International work experience opportunities with brands such as Sweaty Betty, Hurley and Umbro
- Acquire skills ranging from CAD and garment construction to concept development
- Gain industry experience through work placements
- Study trips and live projects
How the course is taught
This is a full-time, practical course that reflects the performance sportswear industry. Project work is supported by lectures, demonstrations, field trips, professional experience, seminars and tutorials. You'll also be asked to develop peer and self-evaluation skills, which will be used in critical, conceptual, productive and professional capacities.
From the beginning of the degree we'll encourage you to innovate across function and aesthetic. You'll solve commercial problems and create lifestyle collections, all the while learning about new technology and materials processes, anatomy and the human factors that influence design.
We'll encourage you to explore essential skills, from advanced cutting to the use of colour through print, while your increasing awareness of design philosophies will enable you to produce conceptual and critically aware apparel. The emphasis at Falmouth is on defining your personal aspiration, allowing more choice over the direction of your study and your career path.
What you'll do
In your first year you'll work alongside the BA(Hons) Fashion Design students to maximise your fashion experience in our authentic studio setting. Supported by your course team, you'll build up the fundamental skills of sportswear design. Your work is underpinned throughout by a series of lectures and seminars that provide an introduction to the history of design.
- Unpicking Preconceived Perceptions of Fashion and Clothing Codes
- Critical and Analytical Thinking
- Core Skills - Pattern cutting and construction
- Drawing, Research, Concept Development and CAD
- 2D to 3D Processes
- Fabrics, Materials and Colour
- Introduction to Movement, Anatomy and Human Factors
During your second year you will be introduced to advancement in materials relevant to the sportswear industry, processes of sport and sportswear design. You will build on the skills learnt during year 1 to include, CAD with Adobe accreditation option, advanced cutting and the use of colour through print. You will also be introduced to the technical construction machinery used in the sportswear industry.
During year 2, students have the opportunity to experience studying overseas at one of our approved partner institutions through Erasmus+ and Study Abroad.
- Advanced Pattern Cutting
- Innovative Construction Techniques
- Brand/Market Awareness
- Live Industry Design Project
- Contemporary Business Modelling
- Development of Innovation and Progressive Thinking
Your final year focuses on professional design practice, your dissertation and the production of your final project, showcased using a progressive industry standard format at a London exhibition. You'll also create your professional portfolio, ready to launch your fashion career on graduation.
- Deep Exploration of Collection/Activity/Sport Specific Research
- Development of 2 Pre-collections
- Production of 4 Outfit Activity-specific Collection
- Self-branding Assignment
- Production of Graduate Portfolio & Exit Materials
You'll be based at the Fashion & Textiles Institute on our Penryn Campus. The purpose built fashion studios feature professional technology and equipment, including:
- Cutting tables
- Fitting stands
- Laser cutting equipment
- Silicon taping machine
- Ultrasonic welder
- Designated wet processes room
- Industrial overlockers
- Blind-stitching machines
- Knitting machines
- Online access to WGSN and LS:N Global
Our Sportswear Design team offer the very best of professional experience to share with you. They have extensive knowledge of the global sportswear market and first-hand experience of working in design and merchandising in International companies and manufacturing.
We assess progress through a combination of visual, verbal and written assignments. The course culminates in two final year exhibitions and a dissertation.
- Clothing label founder
- Working with a design team or freelance
- Journalist, Stylist or Fashion Forecaster
- Retail and merchandising
- Fashion Buyer
- Careers in brand
Our graduates have a high employment rate and have gone on to work at
- Nike Innovation Lab
- Lucas Hugh
- Sweaty Betty
- Griffin Studios
Our students have undertaken work placements with the following companies:
- Adidas (Germany)
- Lucas Hugh (London)
- Helly Hanson (Norway)
- RipCurl (France)
- Fourth Element (Cornwall)
- Finisterre (Cornwall)
Student Mentor Scheme
Falmouth's Student Mentor Scheme matches new starters with a second year student, to help you settle in and find your feet.
- Fashion courses Facebook group
- Cornish/Local Students Facebook group
- Mature Students Facebook group
- International Students Facebook group
- Find out more about the Student Mentor Scheme
If you don't have access to Facebook please email your name and proposed course to: email@example.com
For more information about the application process, portfolios, interviews and selection days, please contact our admissions team using our enquiry form